Menu
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bow Knowledge...

Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1371

Alright, this is the last challenge I have left and I have all the weapons. I'm 0/4 on this challenge so...gonna need some help here. It appears as if the bow's damage decreases when powered up, so I'm thinking of just not powering it up at all as it does 27 damage/shot when it's not powered up. Any other tips that may be helpful?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1372

• (FORMERLY DELCI) Virus Wars Veteran
  • Cauthen
  • Platinum Boarder
I got all the way to Van Krist Labs' boss each time I attempted this challenge, and died. I always got pretty close, so I was doing something right.
In my experience, I didn't notice the bow's decrease in damage as it was powered up, but I wouldn't recommend eschewing powerups. For one, the Bow will never partition (there will be just one bow, and you couldn't cover but a tiny area and with entire flights of enemies that would damage you unless you shot them down, there would be little point), and you'd have a lot less of a chance of hitting a boss (the fights would be severely extended (as if they aren't already), but the time limit is removed in challenges though).
The thing that saved me with Bow Knowledge was the fact that the fully powered up Bow covered such a wide area and destroyed so many clusters of enemies that I hardly missed any to begin with. The main problems were with the bosses - you can hardly hit their weak spots for much damage.
We'll shift to a more heavy reliance on Limit attacks, Shockwaves and Chasers in order to compensate. Since your Special weapon doesn't change in Bow Knowledge, collect all extras that you can! You'll receive tons more Limit attack opportunities that could mean the difference between succeeding and failing if you hadn't used them.
Also focus on chaining - chain like you've never chained before.
The faster you chain, the closer you'll be to being able to release useful extras like Shockwaves (use these sparingly, find a spot where most of the detonation will damage the boss i.e. when you're attacking Eisenschreck's jaws after destroying one of his tentacles, fly just above his jaws and detonate it for tremendous damage), Chasers, much-needed Health Ups or even a New Life or two.
Like I said, use the Shockwaves - and Limit attacks - sparingly! If you can take a few hits, resist the temptation to take out a screen of enemies with a Limit and save it for the boss. The same goes for a Shockwave.
If you can't afford to take any hits, use them if you think you'll be hit otherwise, and just tough out the boss fight.
Finally, like I said, Chasers are a saving grace. They have forward-firing Pulse shots that can take the edge off the Bow's utter fail with damaging bosses.
Good luck!
www.soldner-x.com/sx2/dscore.php?score=172879 (Had to start over - making a comeback!)

Re:Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1373

• Marius
  • Senior Boarder
DarkAkatosh wrote:
Alright, this is the last challenge I have left and I have all the weapons. I'm 0/4 on this challenge so...gonna need some help here. It appears as if the bow's damage decreases when powered up, so I'm thinking of just not powering it up at all as it does 27 damage/shot when it's not powered up. Any other tips that may be helpful?

I haven't noticed that it would power down, but even so... If you get in 5 bows of 10 on the weak spot, it's still better than one of 27, right? Bow requires you to hover right in the front of the weakspot for some bosses anyway.

I haven't actually tried this, but the submarine boss is going to be a pain. At least so far it seems the part where he goes really fast and spinning and throws mines can be one-shotted by a limit attack.

It's all about figuring out which phase gives the most trouble/takes the most damage from a limit attack and for the rest - be patient.

The flamethrower will be so worth it!

Re:Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1376

• Hsanrb
  • Gold Boarder
Sadly the flamethrower can be overwritten with the fog blaster for a ship exclusive weapon.

Re:Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1377

• Final Prototype
DarkAkatosh wrote:

The weapons will always get stronger when powered up. However some weapons are getting additional rays. So, to provide a more finetuned damage balancing, the ODOT (Overall damage over time) will increase in a more decent way.

This means, that the damage of a single ray must be tuned down, when an additional ray was unlocked.

See the example:
1.) 20% Strength (1 ray) = 20 dmg for each bullet
Assume that 10 bullets (each ray) will spawn within a minute
this would be an overall damage of 200 / minute.

2.) 21% Strength (2 rays) = 21 dmg for each bullet
this would be an overall damage of 420 / minute.

As you can see the damage boost would have been very imbalanced, so what the game does is basically:

SX2:) 21 % Strength (2 rays) = 11 dmg for each bullet
this would be an overall damage of 220 / minute.

In the last example you can see there is a decent damage boost, but if a new ray is unlocked, the damage of each single ray is reduced, but the overall damage definitely will be increased.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
SX Support Team

Re:Bow Knowledge... 8 years 5 months ago #1379

• Marius
  • Senior Boarder
Final Prototype wrote:
The weapons will always get stronger when powered up. However some weapons are getting additional rays. So, to provide a more finetuned damage balancing, the ODOT (Overall damage over time) will increase in a more decent way.

This means, that the damage of a single ray must be tuned down, when an additional ray was unlocked.

See the example:
1.) 20% Strength (1 ray) = 20 dmg for each bullet
this would be an overall damage of 200 / minute.

2.) 21% Strength (2 rays) = 21 dmg for each bullet
this would be an overall damage of 420 / minute.

As you can see the damage boost would have been very imbalanced, so what the game does is basically:

SX2:) 21 % Strength (2 rays) = 11 dmg for each bullet
this would be an overall damage of 220 / minute.

In the last example you can see there is a decent damage boost, but if a new ray is unlocked, the damage of each single ray is reduced, but the overall damage definitely will be increased.

Hope this helps.

Still, the DPM will be spread over a larger surface, making it only different at point blank, or against very large hitboxes, when all bullets hit the same target.

Even if the total output would double from one- to two beams there will be a lot fewer targets that see the difference.

It probably wouldn't be that broken.

But at least now we know we have to make sure all bullets hit to take advantage of the total DPM in multiple beams.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Go to top