Menu
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Food system

Food system 3 weeks 6 days ago #9527

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
With my renewed playing through Rainbow Skies, I've been trying to pay more attention the second time around on how the specifics work with the many varying systems in place. I am very much a numbers (analytical) type person, so in many respects I like to see how things directly affect my characters.

I love how you show the levels of the skills, and what each skill level gives you. Although I wish the game would give the base number-the 0 skill level number. For example, with Fireball, it says "Damage + %damage (depending on skill level)". But I wish I knew what the original damage was.

However, to the point of my post, with Food, I understand the basics in that food allows you to do more damage in combat. I think you also heal more if you stay at camps. But with the damage aspect, do you need to fill the bar 100% to make a difference (i.e. all or nothing) or does raising it incrementally make a difference on damage? Meaning, does having some food on the bar do additional damage?

I do believe raising the food bar partially does give a bonus to damage, but does raising it to 100% give an added bonus besides just doing additional damage? Like for example, if you are raising your food bar from 50 to 60 to 70, etc and I assume it's raising linerally, is there a big jump from 95 to 100% because you actually maxed it? Or is it still only a small, lineral raise from 95 to 100?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Food system 3 weeks 6 days ago #9528

• SideQuestStudios
  • Administrator
Hobbun wrote:
I love how you show the levels of the skills, and what each skill level gives you. Although I wish the game would give the base number-the 0 skill level number. For example, with Fireball, it says "Damage + %damage (depending on skill level)". But I wish I knew what the original damage was.

This is a bonus factor only, not a static number. To calculate the final damage, much more numbers are involved, i.e. the strength and defense of the attacker and defender and many more. So, it's hardly possible for the skill info. However it would have been possible for the damage stars and it was something we really considered. But the damage display would have become very confusing and scattered this way. That's why we decided to show the bonus factors only in the skill info.

Hobbun wrote:
However, to the point of my post, with Food, I understand the basics in that food allows you to do more damage in combat. I think you also heal more if you stay at camps. But with the damage aspect, do you need to fill the bar 100% to make a difference (i.e. all or nothing) or does raising it incrementally make a difference on damage? Meaning, does having some food on the bar do additional damage?

I do believe raising the food bar partially does give a bonus to damage, but does raising it to 100% give an added bonus besides just doing additional damage? Like for example, if you are raising your food bar from 50 to 60 to 70, etc and I assume it's raising linerally, is there a big jump from 95 to 100% because you actually maxed it? Or is it still only a small, lineral raise from 95 to 100?

As you already have presumed, every food bonus counts, even if it's very little. It's also a linear bonus multiplier that can double your damage output in the beginning. (Later there are ways to make the food bar much more relevant.)

There is no bonus jump for the last portion of the bar, but food consumption increases, as higher the bar is. That means a character with 100% food bonus does have a much higher food consumption compared to a character with 10% food bonus. So keeping the bonus really high, requires much more food than keeping an average or low food bonus.

Food is only required in the end game or if you play the main story with the highest battle rank. Then it can make a large difference, especially in boss battles. Food starts to become much more important once you reach the end game.

Hope that helps.
Best regards,
Marcus

Food system 3 weeks 4 days ago #9529

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
SideQuestStudios wrote:
This is a bonus factor only, not a static number. To calculate the final damage, much more numbers are involved, i.e. the strength and defense of the attacker and defender and many more. So, it's hardly possible for the skill info. However it would have been possible for the damage stars and it was something we really considered. But the damage display would have become very confusing and scattered this way. That's why we decided to show the bonus factors only in the skill info.

Yes of course, that makes sense. Should have realized 'damage' isn't just one number. Has several factors involved, as well as probably is a variance (for example 5-10; just a number range). Just the analytical side of myself wanting to see how my damage is being figured out. :) But even still, the information already given in the skill levels is a welcome addition.
SideQuestStudios wrote:
As you already have presumed, every food bonus counts, even if it's very little. It's also a linear bonus multiplier that can double your damage output in the beginning. (Later there are ways to make the food bar much more relevant.)

There is no bonus jump for the last portion of the bar, but food consumption increases, as higher the bar is. That means a character with 100% food bonus does have a much higher food consumption compared to a character with 10% food bonus. So keeping the bonus really high, requires much more food than keeping an average or low food bonus.

Food is only required in the end game or if you play the main story with the highest battle rank. Then it can make a large difference, especially in boss battles. Food starts to become much more important once you reach the end game.

I plan to do the 'whole boat' (100%), including playing at highest battle rank and all of the end game content, so food will certainly be relevant for me. I think there is the skill "Full Stomach", or something similar, where food disappears more slowly. I am guessing there are more food related skills. I believe one of the tutorials hinted at a spell/skill making your own food (ala Fruit Rain). Even on my first playthrough, I had not picked that skill up as of yet.

Thanks again Marcus, a great help as always. :)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Hobbun.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Go to top